OSM Survey Preparation and Execution
ToDo List for 1-Day intro OSM Survey Concepcion
- Need for a Laptop
- PT: Contracts + Tesista: Recibio Simple
- Survey site determination: 11-13 survey sites, selection based on low-medium-high walkscores, including 2-3 areas considered dangerous
- Survey material: fieldbook, paper-maps, pencil, etc.
- How to print survey maps? max 4h per survey site, printing with http://www.fieldpapers.org, 2 or 4 A4-sheets per site, the single sheet showing a (50m or) 100m scalebar
- Testrun in my home area (Barrio Aguilucho) => to discuss problems/define what to survey (see below)
- Entering data into the OSM database:
- create account
- using the iD editor: http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=id
- playgrounds and parks are the only "areal" objects; all others are points
- Using Google StreetView for dangerous areas: https://mapstreetview.com/#-k6nmk_-16rnia_7i.a_5842
- Discuss option to use Android OSMTracker App for surveying, but problem may be later on: GPS coordinates, and requires GPX data to be imported in other program first (e.g. QGIS).
- Give out cash for sunblock, food/drinking, suurvey material, travel to survey site
Objects to Survey / Valdidate
- Focus on objects=destinations for walking, biking, public transit - destinations of daily errands and life (culture)
- Idea: stay in the hood, and do not use the car
- Note on "Businesses": no interest in destinations for cars (such as car repair, car breaks shops, petrol station) but for instance a bike shop, a bakery, etc. Note, a petrol station may be of interest if it has an ATM, and should be mapped as ATM!
- POI Categories:
- Tiendas Comestibles
- Tiendas Comerciales, Servicios
- Cafeterias, bares, pubs
- Bancos, cajeros autom
- Parques (juego niños, con banco, min size?)
- Libros (biblioteca + libreria)
- Entrenimiento (cines, instal. deportivas, museos)
- Edu: Escuelas, Sala Cuna, Jardin. Infantil, Univ.
- Farmacioas, Hospitales, Cesfam, SAPU, etc.